Happy Tuesday Ya’ll ♥
After a long vacay in Florida + a relaxing President’s Day Weekend, I am back at it…one of my first projects to tackle? Creating more fun content for all of you! (luckily this is something I love to do so content creation comes easy + is fun – the way it should be)!
I LOVED all of the positive feedback from ya’ll on my Photo Editing 101 post where I shared my tips + tricks for editing photos to create a chic + clean instagram feed. My Instagram aesthetic is light + airy, with pops of color (because who doesn’t love a little bright spot when scrolling through their Instagram feed)?!
Anyways, today I wanted to share a little DIY tutorial for something I have been seeing all over Instagram – Instagram Story Highlight Icons!
ICYMI – Instagram Story Highlight Icons are the little icons that are displayed when adding Instagram story highlights to your profile. Instagram allows you to edit the ‘highlight‘ cover image for each highlight series you create so while you can just choose to have one of the posts from your highlight be the cover image, a lot of people on Instagram have been creating custom icons for different categories of their highlighted posts i.e Fashion, Beauty, Travel etc!
I right away began bugging my boyfriend to help me make them since he is the photo editing + graphics wiz BUT I ended up figuring out how to create them all on my own + wanted to share!
STEP 1 – Create Categories
- Come up with your categories for your Instagram story highlights. I determined mine based on the type of content I post often enough so Fashion, Beauty, Lifestyle, Travel + Unboxing. Categories are completely up to YOU but having an idea of which ones you want will be helpful when choosing icons down the line 🙂
STEP 2 – Choose Your Program
- If you are familiar with Photoshop, you can create the highlight images in there OR choose a different more user friendly program like Canva which is super easy to use + has icons built in for you to choose from.
- Photoshop is great too but you will have to find your icon choices on the web + upload them later (which I did as well for Canva – all about preference in icons).
STEP 3 – Start Your Project
- Instagram Story Dimensions are: 1080 x 1920 pixels
- Open up your preferred program + begin a blank project using those dimensions
STEP 4 – Choose Your Background
- Below is a screen grab from Canva but Photoshop is very similar with the paint bucket tool. Simply choose your desired color or pattern for the background of the image.
STEP 5 – Choose Your Icons
- Now for the fun part! Choosing your icons.
- If you use Canva, you can click the ‘elements‘ tab + choose from clipart they have. There are free + premium options all based on your aesthetic!
- I personally used Canva to create my images BUT actually found my icons on IconFinder.com
- IF you prefer to find your own icons all you have to do is go to IconFinder.com or another similar website + type in the type of icon you are looking for i.e. ‘airplane’ ‘high heel’ etc.
- They also have tons of free + premium options to choose from, some even include sets so all of your icons look consistent but that is up to you!
- Just click the icon you like + hit download – easy as 1,2,3!
STEP 6 – Add Your Icons
- If you are using clipart or icons you found, simply upload them to the project and place them in the center of the canvas (easier to center on Instagram this way).
- You can also feel free to add text as well if that is something of interest however it will be tiny + hard to read on Instagram so I would recommend against it.
STEP 7 – Save Your Project
- So you can make duplicate canvas’s + then save each one with a different icon or open multiple projects using the same dimensions, completely up to you.
- After you are finished, simply save the projects as JPEG + then you can email them to yourself or use cloud sharing or Dropbox to get them all on your phone.
STEP 8 – Upload Your Images
- Upload the images from your camera roll as normal parts of your insta-story
- Then you add them to their proper highlight categories
STEP 9 – Edit Your Cover
- Simply go to the highlight, click the bottom right corner (it’s 3 little dots like this …) + hit ‘edit highlight’
- Choose the image you just uploaded + voila you have your cover image set!!
And VOILA you are done!
Hope this tutorial was helpful ♥
Comments + Questions appreciated!
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Tumblr