With all that is going on it may not feel like summer is here but with the warmer temps and itching for chilling by the pool or heading to the beach, we are certainly getting ready for a relaxing dip! One of my favorite parts about swimsuit season? Stocking up on my favorite beach finds like totes, cover-ups, sandals + of course…SWIMWEAR!
From tie-dye to high waisted bottoms to sparkly pieces + more, I am loving the summer trends for 2020 + rounding up some of my favorites below.
I think it’s time to reflect…I have been in LA for about 3 months now and while I am far from fully adjusted and acclimated to m new surroundings (palm trees everyday is still so surreal to me) I wanted to take a moment to share some things I’ve noticed about LA as opposed to NY. Some may not agree but hey…this is a place for me to share what I like and don’t like, what I’m thinking + how I am feeling…right? 😉
Ok, so let me make some bullets (because that tends to be easier than me writing out paragraphs + it’s amusing to see the things that have popped into my heard since moving here)
1. The traffic is horrible! Yes…I know plenty of people told me traffic in LA sucks, but until you actually drive an hour and 10 minutes to + from work everyday, you don’t actually believe them…well now I 100% do. When asking for how long it’ll take to get somewhere, you must ask for a time with traffic factored in.
2. The people are far more laid back than NY. This is something I am still slowly adjusting to. After working in Manhattan for years, working in an environment where everyone is easy going and genuinley happy to be there is pretty awesome. Both at work and around LA, people for the most part are pretty chill (not like ‘bro surfs up’ chill but more of you won’t get hit by someones pocket book while waiting for your morning Starbucks)…NYers you totally know what I am referring to…battling to get on the subway, get your lunch, coffee etc.
3. Everyone is a health nut (for the most part). Ok now yes NY has plenty of kale + juice loving guys and gals, but LA takes it to a whole new level. There is literally (from my observations) more ‘healthy’ places than fast food. The line outside Urth Cafe is unreal…the place is always crowded + every juice bar is pretty packed.
4. It’s super pet friendly! Now this is something I LOVE about LA (if only Charlie was here). In my building alone, my roommate and I may be the only people without a pup (trust me I am trying to sell her on the idea of us getting one haha stay tuned :p) You see water bowls + dog treats everywhere you go and I even see a few people bring dogs to work (my dream)!
5. It costs a lot to live here! I think there was this misconception in my head that by not living in Manhattan anywhere else in the country would be cheap…well I didn’t factor in that LA is in fact a ‘city’ and is priced like one! Rent is pretty pricey (although you get more for your money here than in NYC) and to be in a decent area requires a pretty penny (I am in WeHo — short for West Hollywood).
6. Gas is expensive. Well gas for me is always troubling considering I drive a Jeep Wrangler (now I understand why Tesla’s + Toyota Prius’s are common in LA) but gas in LA is a dollar more (if not more than that) per gallon than I would pay on Long Island.
7. People either get super dressed up or are extremely casual. The style is completely different from NY. It’s rare to see someone in a business suit (except real estate agents) or someone in a matching skirt and blazer set. Office attire seems to be rather casual and outside the office I have found the hippie dippy gals that where booties, go bra-less and enjoy oversized tops and little shorts OR you have the complete opposite — the Barbie wearing Loubs, extensions (hair and lashes) + a tight Herve Leger dress. One extreme to the other…meanwhile I am sticking with my skater skirts, dresses and heels or wedges haha I always wonder if people can tell (other than by the license plate on my car) that I am not from around here.
8.Dating is horrible! Ok, I have been here almost 3 months and have went on a bunch of dates and there are three categories of guys that I’ve come across thus far…the total douche-bag (cue expensive car, watch etc.), the socially awkward (unsure of themselves, has odd tendencies + aren’t sure of what a date is) and the super lazy (the guy who says ‘wanna come chill‘ or ‘I’m out now come out‘) there is no thought or effort put in just a ‘let me get laid without doing any work’ mentality. Now don’t get me wrong I am sure there are plenty of guys in NY that fit into those categories as well, hell I probably went out with a few…but I am finding these kinds of guys way more common in LA. Dating has actually made me miss NY just a tad…now that’s sad.
9. No one goes to ‘The Valley’. For some reason this makes me think of Clueless (you know when Cher went to that party in ‘the valley‘) well apparently no one wants to drive to or into the valley because it is far from all the hustle and bustle of the city (WeHo is pretty much the center). I personally love the seclusion + suburban feel of the valley but most young people don’t (I guess I act like an old lady wanting peace + quiet haha).
Last But Not Least10. Bagels + Pizza are not the same! So this has been devastating. I have yet to find a place that makes a decent bagel…I’m talking a yummy, fluffy bagel with Bacon, Egg + Cheese…you know like one you would get at the corner deli in NYC or at the bagel store on Long Island (my mouth is watering just thinking about it)…well I tried a few places and the bagels were flat and honestly just tragic…I can’t wait to go home simply to have some NY style bagels and pizza (the dough here in LA is so far from anything to write home about).Shop More Handkerchief Dresses (I can’t wait to wear this one well into fall!)
And I am off…to LA that is! I can’t wait to be back amongst the palm trees and in my happy place! I am staying with Kristi (a little throwback to my last year’s LA excursion) and my brother is joining me this time around to visit some of his dream schools and get the full LA experience!
When it came to packing…well there were some hiccups. First off…my luggage broke…yea I only used it for two trips and the wheel is already busted so I had to make an impromptu trip to Kohls to get a new suitcase (big enough to fit all of the neon in my closet of course hehe) Did I mention how much loveKohls yet…because I seriously do <3 They have EVERYTHING!
Anyways…after solving the luggage problem, I packed a few pairs of shorts, plenty of shoes, a few bikinis and of course sunnies!
Shop My Picks Below:
Follow My Trip On Instagram With The Hashtag #MissyOnTheMove + On SnapChat – MissyOnMadison 🙂