*This post is sponsored by smartwater.
To Do List: Wake Up, Kick Ass, Repeat (ok kidding…well maybe).One of the most common questions I have gotten recently is, “How did you get where you are today?”…now to clarify, today I am in my early 20s, still living at home and have a lot of growing up to do and tons to learn, however within the past few years, I have gotten my BA in Media Communications, started my own social media consulting company and launched MissyOnMadison.com
So what do I do on the daily to get to where I am? Well it all comes back to following my dreams, goals and ambition…
Ever since I was little I knew I wanted to ‘make it’ in the fashion world. One of the key things I learned in college was to be social and network. My parents didn’t have any ‘connections’ nor did they have any idea of what I wanted to do (hell, I still think I frighten them from time to time haha) but I always knew somehow everything would work itself out.
I tried to put myself out there (social media was a huge asset in that department), attend events to hopefully meet people with common interests who would become key contacts in the future and I always came (and continue to come) prepared for whatever the day may throw my way.
So here are the key things I do every day which prep me to make a great first impression and seize my goals for the day:
1. Confidence (never leave home without it folks). If you are shy and unsure of yourself it is likely others will feel the same way about you. I am a talker and I enjoy striking up conversation and putting myself out there.
2. Come Prepared. You never know what will happen in the course of a day. No matter what bag I opt to wear (whether it’s a night out or a day filled with meetings or a day trip) I carry a portable iPhone charger (nothing is worse than the ‘less than 20%’ memo popping up on your screen), business cards (I have cards for my consulting business + my blog), a bottle of smartwater, a great pair of sunnies, a chic accessory (like a statement bracelet or ring that can instantly snazz up an outfit) and of course lip gloss/lip balm!
3. Stay Organized. When I have a million things going on it is definitely challenging to stay on track and focus on what I need to do for the day, so I am all about keeping a schedule, writing things down and being mindful of the time on a daily basis. I always wear a watch, I flag e-mails that have important info for the day (time/location of meetings) and keep track of campaigns and important due dates in my Kate Spade planner.
4. Be Kind. You never know who you will meet and how they will impact your future. I try to be kind to everyone (I can’t promise I don’t have a little attitude every now and then…hey everyone has their moments) but for the most part I like to go through life with ‘rose colored glasses’ and take pride in treating people the way I would like to be treated…some call it karma, I call it common courtesy.
5. Take Care Of Yourself. It’s important to take great care of yourself every day to make a great first impression on those around you. I stay hydrated, get enough sleep (or at least try to), get some exercise in and try to do my hair and makeup every day because looking good makes ya feel good 😉